Write to your Federal MP or Senator and tell them what you think about ending child detention. Ask them for their position and how they can support ending detention of children in Australia. All you need to do is follow these simple steps….
Fill in your details and find the postal address for you MP/ Candidate / Senator here.
Fill in the details on the template highlighted in capitals for your convenience (don’t forget to add the number of ECD supporters in your electorate)
For email: Remember to attach your letter as a separate document
For snail mail: Remember to add your return address to the back of the envelope, so they know it’s from one of their valued constituents
Check out these tips for your writing!
- Introduce yourself – let them know that you are one of their constituents. Perhaps you are also a member of a local school or community group that you can also add to your introduction.
- Tell them why this issue is important to you – don’t be afraid to be personal. Share with them your own opinions and use your own words to describe the issue.
- Do not underestimate the handwritten letter! You can imagine the amount of letters MPs receive every day and so you can be sure that a hand written letter will draw their attention.
- Ask them what they think about this issue and ask them to respond to you – don’t be afraid to be direct in your request.
- Keep it simple (no more than one page)
- Be polite and respectful – constructive engagement will invite a prompt response rather than a negative or abusive letter.
- Remember to follow up. You will be amazed how swiftly MPs will response after they have been reminded by you! If you sent an email you can give the electorate office a call after 2 – 3 days. For snail mail, if you do not receive a response after two weeks it is time to pick up the phone. Remember, your MP has a responsibility to represent you and to communicate with you.